Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hit My Car Door - Didn't Bother to Check for Damage

I haven't ranted in a while, but something happened today that frustrated me so here goes..

I took my kid to his soccer game today, and I'm watching from my car because it was raining a little bit and I had a good view of the field. A guy pulls up in an SUV in the parking spot next to me. Suddenly I feel my car shake and turn to see that his daughter has whacked the side of my car with her car door. Since it hit hard enough to shake the car, I figured there was probably some amount of damage. I'm expecting the father to get out of the car and come around to check to see if there is damage. No, he just sits there. He has his window rolled down so I can hear him talking to his daughter about it. I get out of my car and walk around to check for damage thinking to myself, maybe he didn't realize someone was in the car and if he sees me get out to check for damage, he'll come over to check with me. Nothing. I see where she had hit the car, there was a bit of paint and I tried to rub it out to see if it was just paint or if there was actually a dent. Looking at it from an angle, you could definitely see where it was actually a dent. I got in my car and closed the door, again thinking maybe he would realize that I was checking it out and come around to see if there was any damage... nothing.

I hear him tell his daughter "Just get out on the other side" because I'm guessing she needed to get out, but was scared to get out on my side because she had already hit my car. I was trying to decide how to handle the situation, because had the father come around to check if there was damage, I probably would have just said, "These things happen" and let it go, but I was frustrated that he wasn't even going to check. I decided to get out to talk to him about it, if for no other reason than to make him take accountability for his daughter's actions.

I walk around to the driver's side of his car where he is sitting with the window open and said "Excuse me, your daughter just hit the side of my car with the door." To which he immediately took an attitude with me. "I didn't know." He said, which of course was a lie because I had overheard him talking to her about it.

"Well it seemed like you were aware because I heard you tell her to get out on the other side of the car, and I'm just surprised that you didn't come to check to see if there was damage."

"I don't appreciate your accusation" he says with an attitude. "I said I didn't know." and he gets out of the car to come look at it with me. I point out the dent to him and said, "Honestly, it wouldn't have been a big deal had you come over to check or even apologized, but it isn't helping the situation that you are taking such a bad attitude toward me." to which he responds "well maybe if you weren't such a bitch..."

I was shocked. "Did you seriously just call me a bitch?" I asked him. "I'm sorry but you are the one whose daughter hit my car, you are the one who didn't bother to check if there was damage, and you were the one who instantly had an attitude when I came to talk to you about it. Again, had you been nice and apologized, it probably wouldn't have been an issue, but now it definitely is."

"Just get a pen and take my information down and send me the bill." He said while grumbling under his breath. So with that I retrieved a pen and a piece of paper and gave it to him to get his information. He supposedly gave me his email and his wife's phone number, but I took a picture of his license plate in case he gave me faulty information.

I'm less upset that the guy's daughter hit my car, because I too have a kid and realize these things happen. The thing that upset me the most was, if I didn't happen to be sitting in my car when it happened, he's the sort of guy who would have just pretended nothing happened and I would have come back to a dent in my car with no explanation. The days of honesty and someone leaving a note on your car apologizing for hitting you are over. The days of the man kindly getting out of his car and apologizing for his daughter and me being able to kindly say, "No big deal" are over.

Instead the guy decided to try to act like nothing happened, then took attitude, then had the indecency to call me a bitch  as if the circumstance wasn't bad enough. Okay sir, since you are obviously an asshole, I will get my car fixed and send you the bill. You could have saved yourself the trouble had you decided to be a decent human being, but since that is not the case, it's only fair that what goes around comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts.