Monday, August 15, 2011

Gift Cards - They Really Are NOT "As Good As Cash"

That's right. You think that when you buy a gift card that does not expire, that its value is as good as cash, but that is not really the case. I'm learning this the hard way, as I have a $40 Blockbuster Video gift card that I got last year around Christmas time and had it stashed away in a drawer and forgot all about it. It resurfaced this weekend and I logged on to double check the value and... I find that it went from being worth $40, to NOTHING! That's right, it's now just a piece of junk plastic.

I wish someone could explain to me how this is fair or just. The back of the card spefically claims that the value does not expire, but apparently that doesn't protect you from bankruptcy. I think if Blockbuster hit rock bottom and flat out "went out of business", I'd be okay with that explanation, but is it just my imagination or is Blockbuster still operating an online/and Blue Box rental company? Why is it then, that my Blockbuster gift card dollars are not good for online or Blue Box rental? It's a conundrum.

Sometimes, I get motivated no matter how small the dollar amount in dispute to seek retribution for this kind of thing, as I just hate that companies like this rip off the consumer time and time again. It's the principal of it, not the quantity of money lost... but then other times I just grit my teeth and take it in the rear like everyone else. I'm frustrated, no doubt, but I'm sure there are bankruptcy laws protecting companies like this from having to stay obligated when they have filed. I should be glad it was only $40. This happened to my mom, where a so-called friend had borrowed a fair amount of business capital to help her get a restaurant up and running, and when things didn't take off, she claimed bankruptcy and was able to wiggle out of owing her anything in re-payment of that loan. You'd think, just out of the simple guidelines that are supposed to govern friendship, that the other party would still try to make at least a minimal effort to repay it back on the side, but alas, that is not how life works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts.